Tuesday, April 26, 2011

How this plant holder was destined to be a plant holder before it was even a plant holder...

I have mentioned before how much I love HomeGoods.  It makes me dream about our future house and all the ways I could decorate it.  I love their prices and I love the unique things you can buy there.  This past weekend I went there with my mom and bought the hat decoration pictured below.  But this hat has a story...



This hat, once upon a time, had a cap.  Where the plant now resides was, apparently a "secret compartment".  I saw this unique Alice in Wonderland-esque hat at HomeGoods a good two (or more) months ago.  I, not knowing it had a cap, picked it up and proceeded to turn it upside down to check the price (I KNOW I am not the only one to do this).  In the process of doing my price check, the cap, which was very inconspicuous fell off and chipped.

So what did I do?  I quickly picked the cap off the floor, put it back on the hat and rushed Jon to get out of the aisle, lest anyone think that loud crash was me (it was not a light cap).  Yes, I know, I am a horrible person and believe me, I felt guilty...kinda.  I mean, how was I supposed to know there was a cap that would fall off?!?!

But that can't be the end of the story, can it?  That very hat now sits on my bedside table.  A while late Jon and I were back at the store.  We frequently go there while waiting for our movie time at the Regal there in Kingstowne.  As we walked through the store I had completely forgotten about the hat until I was in the clearance aisle.  There it was.  Staring at me.  It was almost as if it was a sad little puppy looking at me with those puppy dog eyes saying, "Don't you want me?  I used to be cute, but someone abused me.  Plllleeeaasse bring me home!"

I laughed out loud when I saw it and showed Jon promptly.  It was reduced from $15 to $10.  I knew what I could do with it and exclaimed to Jon, "It could be a plant holder!"

To which he replied with something like, "No one wanted that when it was not broken, so why would we want it broken?"

Let me also take this time to note that he still does not approve of the hat residing anywhere in our apartment.

But!  I did not buy it.  Instead, I made a promise to it.  I promised that if it was still there when I came back a month later with my mom (we had been planning a trip to HomeGoods for Easter weekend) that I would buy it.

So a month later, there it was with the same little longing puppy dog eyes.  I gave in and gladly adopted it and promptly bought a fake fern to place in it's hollow heart.

There it is!  The story of how this plant holder was destined to be a plant holder before it was even a plant holder.




1 comment:

  1. Haha that sounds exactly like something I would do. I think it looks cool!

    Nice blog by the way :)

    ReplyDelete