Thursday, May 19, 2011

INTERVIEW!!!

This job is kicking my butt!  I have been going to bed at 9 every night and getting up bright and early in the morning.  My dear husband snuggles me until I fall asleep, then stays up for a few hours.  I wake up the next morning and the dishes are done! He even makes the bed when he gets up after I'm gone.  He is definitely making the full time job transition easier for me.

So, I have been wanting to start doing this for a while.  I emailed some questions to a family friend and former babysitting client who also blogs.  She is a busy wife and mother of 4 little (but growing fast!) blessings and such an inspiration! So enjoy Kristina's interview and her blog, Shepherding My Herd.


    • You live a very active life (with 4 kids!) and you manage to find time to work out consistently. What program/DVD have you found most conducive to your busy life?
       I started exercising via the Couch to 5K program...just googled it, printed the schedule, got some sneakers, and followed the checklist. I went from NO exercise to running a 5K in just 9 weeks. I'm not speedy, but running a 10-minute mile feels great...my favorite part - I get a half an hour of peace and quiet when I run outside! About a year after doing the Couch to 5K, I tried "The 30 Day Shred" DVD (Jillian Michaels)...free to borrow from the library, very little equipment needed (a towel or mat, some handweights). I LOVED it! Just 30 minutes a day and I was sweating up a storm, toning up a flabby body!! In January this year, I tried Tony Horton's "P90X" DVD set, and although it required a bit more time (60-90 minutes a day), it was a wonderful program...very thorough and organized. I followed it to the letter and saw great changes. It did get stressful trying to fit it into my busy days with the kids, but what an amazing program!!! My most recent program has been "Ripped in 30" (another Jillian Michaels DVD). It's ok...she's a little crass, but I do sweat a lot! I think I'll try Hip Hop Abs DVD next (I love programs and checklists to follow!)

      You are also always posting great healthy dinner ideas. What is a recent favorite recipe that is also easy and quick to prepare?
      I love to try new recipes, and I'm always on the lookout for something yummy. Facebook has been great for sharing ideas and links...Gina's Skinny Taste and Kalyn's Kitchen have both had delicious and healthy ideas. Tonight we had a new go-to recipe, my friend Danielle's Taco Yumminess (she posted it on her blog awhile back)...easy and healthy and yummy: ground turkey (brown in skillet, drain); add beans (I do chick peas and black beans); add a jar of salsa and heat through (I also add diced tomatoes); serve over chips or lettuce with cheese, black olives, sour cream, etc.

      Just for fun, what is your FAVORITE guilty food indulgence?
      My fave naughty food...do I have to pick just one? LOL! I love Heluva Good French Onion Dip with Ruffles. (Salty snack). And there is NOTHING better for breakfast than a Reese's peanut butter cup!! Or leftover Black Tie Mousse Cake from The Olive Garden. Mmmmm!

      You’re also a Christian, how does that affect you in your busy life?
       I could not live this life without Jesus! Knowing He walks not only with me, but BEFORE me helps immensely during the tough times. Knowing that even if no one else sees the sacrifices I make to be a stay at home mom, He sees. I may not be able to serve in missions around the world right now, but I see my home as my own mission field. It's a daunting task, and I don't know how anyone could do it in her own strength! I have lots more I could say about this, so feel free to ask if you want to know more.

      Read any good books lately?
       I am currently reading "Firefly Lane" by Kristin Hannah and so far, so good. I've enjoyed Karen Kingsbury lately, but no one writes like Francine Rivers! Her Mark of the Lion trilogy was beyond amazing!!! I promised my 9-year-old son I would read the Harry Potter series next...he just finished reading Book 6 and he often talks about the characters and story...I have no clue what he's talking about, but a mentor mom from my MOPS group at church mentioned the importance of getting interested in the things our children enjoy. You should have seen my son's face light up when I told him I was going to read the series so he and I could talk about it!!! 


      And last but not least, any advice to young women/wives out there?
      Advice? Hahaha! Ok really: ENJOY this stage of life! Wherever you are, it will only be for a moment. You will be onto something different in the blink of an eye. Cherish this precious time. Remember that Hollywood and fashion magazines are NOT real! Even Good Housekeeping has pictures of "perfect" houses and decor...guess what, it's not real. Perfection does not exist this side of heaven and we will all be better off if we get real with each other - admit our flaws (I have many!) and then help and support one another. Find a mentor wife/mom and be open to her guidance and wisdom. Also, surround yourself with people with whom you have common values. Make a pact not to covet...don't go shopping if you become discontent. Throw out catalogs/magazines if you find yourself wanting to spend more than you have. Read the book, "Love and Respect" and try to live that life with your husband (if married.) Remember that we are not promised roses and sunshine on this earth...life WILL be hard, there WILL be trials, but God can and will use it for good, for His glory!


      Thanks so much, Kristina!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment